Saturday, July 26, 2008

It's Long Run Time Again

Boy did it sneak up on me too. I was looking at the calender the other day and realized that I only have 3 months till the Columbus Marathon. I need to restart my long runs. They've slipped into obscurity since the Rite Aid Half back in May.

So this morning I went out and ran. Long. Well, long for not having run long in a while. I had a 10 mile course that I added some extra onto. I ended up doing a little over 11 miles in 1:32. I felt a little tired so I kept the pace down. But for the last 2 miles, I had an energy surge so I ended up increasing my pace towards the end, which is something good to try to do anyway. Now to just keep building the mileage into the fall.

Earlier this week I attended yet another track speed workout. They're starting to bother me a little less each time. Oh, they still hurt like hell, during and afterward, but I don't mind it so much. The results outweigh the temporary discomfort. This week was a reverse ladder workout:

1 mile warm-up
1600 meters hard 6:44.73
400 m rest
1200 meters hard 5:15.80
400 m rest
800 meters hard 3:25.55
200 m rest
600 meters hard 2:37.47
200 m rest
400 meters hard 1:32.03
200 m rest
200 meters hard 34.39
2 x 100 m striders
1 mile cool-down

That was the hardest workout yet. Partly because the distances were longer. Partly because it was near 100% humidity with the sun out and no breeze. It was just an uncomfortable afternoon to be going so hard. But I've come to realize that the workouts are beneficial so I push as hard as I can.

See you on the road,
Mr. P

No comments: