Thursday, June 30, 2011

Burn-Out

I was going to write about how change is the only constant and all that stuff as my training has fallen apart the last couple weeks, but the real culprit hit me last night: I am burnt out. No motivation. No drive. No desire to run or compete in anything. I fight with myself about what I should be doing and running doesn't fare well.

Now that I actually think about it, REALLY think about and analyze it, I think Ironman and all it's training caused this. I had high goals for this year and my winter training never happened. Spring fell flat. And now summer isn't materializing the way it should have. My fitness level is well below what it should be by this point. And the more I dwell on that fact, the worse my motivation gets.

It's time for some goal changes because of this. What I need is zero pressure and to just enjoy running again. So, because of that, I'm changing Burning River from an A race to a B. That means I'm not setting out to finish. I think finishing is going to be beyond me. I hope to just have a decent run through the woods for as long as possible. No goals. No expectations. I'm not going to continue tracking my weekly mileage here in specific posts, although I will continue to tally my mileage on the sidebar as I always have.

This change will help me adjust the remainder of my 2011 schedule. I was at one time hoping to try for a 3:05 in Columbus. That's not going to happen this year. If I can run a sub-3:30 again I will be happy. The Northcoast 24 Hour, however, is the race I think I will focus on. I think I can still approach the 100 mile mark during that one in September. I think I will look at some 5K's too. Just some short fast races. Maybe that will help to get me back on track for next year.

I knew the magic of the 2009 season wouldn't repeat, but I didn't expect to become so dis-enchanted with everything. Kudos to those who can do all these big events repeatedly and not lose their mental focus.

No comments: