Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Peaking in December?

Usually, December is not the month of choice for peaking. Not in the Northern Hemisphere at least. But that's what I began suspecting at last night's track workout. We had a foursome show up on a rainy 48 degree December evening. After a two mile warm-up we decided on running 800s. How many? That wasn't determined at the start.

My first 800 came in at 2:54. 2:54? I've only had a couple sub 3 minute splits for 800s this year. And those came during the height of my speed training. Surely, it must have been a lucky first attempt.

My second 800 clocked in at 2:56. "Crap!", I remember saying as I checked my time. I wasn't upset. I just didn't know where this was coming from.

My third 800 was in 2:57. OK, what's going on here? How am I doing this in December when I couldn't do it in September or October? Granted, it was a nice night for running. But there was a nasty headwind coming down the final straight.

My fourth and final 800 was back at 2:54. I knew I wanted to make sure I got under 3:00. And I did. I don't know what happened last night. Maybe I'm climbing up to another level. Maybe I just had a good night. Hopefully it will continue next year. Another 2.25 miles for a cool-down and I was done.

In other news: Sunday I hit the pool for the first time in over a year. I just wanted to get in the water and do some laps. I had no goal for time or distance. Once I reached half a mile, Mrs. P suggested I do an entire mile. So I did. 64 laps = 1 mile. That's a lot of swimming. Especially for someone who has horrible form and horribly uncoordinated breathing. Lots of work to do this winter.

This morning I jumped on the bike for 10 miles. Oh, how I dislike the trainer. But, like swimming, I need to put in the time in the hope of having success next season. At least with the bike, if I stop pedaling, I won't sink!

No comments: