Saturday, September 20, 2008

Speed Work Updates (a little late)

Better late than never, though. I need to update the last two track workouts. First, from Sept. 9, I had a great speed session. The best yet. Since the number of runners has dwindled with the onset of cross country season, those of us still hitting the track each week have agreed to concentrate on running 800s. We all seem to be training for a fall marathon, and these 800 repetitions sure seem to be effective. This day we did 8 X 800 meters. Since my speed has gotten better, I was shooting for 3:15 as a target time. I'm happy to say all my times were under that. The first one being a 2:57 and the last one a 3:04, my two fastest times. I also had 4 at 3:09 and 2 at 3:11. I guess I get an A for consistency.

As for this week, it was my best speed session yet! We had cool temps in the mid 60s with a little breeze that was just strong enough to make things chilly by the time we were done. We did 9 X 800 meters, with the plan being to increase to 10 for next week. My splits were as follows: 3:10 / 3:12 / 3:10 / 3:12 / 3:10 / 3:09 / 3:09 / 3:09 / 3:05. Yes, that is the fastest split on the last 800. The amazing thing is this was two days after a VERY hard race. I was still sore and my legs felt tired. I kept getting more sore later that night too. I felt about back to normal yesterday, but today I'm good to go. Which is good, because I'm planning a few miles for tomorrow morning. My last long training run for Columbus, and the longest so far. I'm planning to run for 3:20 to 3:30 (hours) and hoping to cover upwards of 22 to 23 miles. We'll just have to wait and see how that works out in the AM.

Mr. P

No comments: